Full TGIF Record # 248833
Item 1 of 1
Publication Type:
Author(s):Dederman, Arthur H.; Gray, Richard W. Jr.
Title:Roadside vegetation management policies and practices in Nebraska
Section:Industrial weed control
Other records with the "Industrial weed control" Section
Meeting Info.:Omaha, Nebraska: December 9-11, 1980
Source:Proceedings: North Central Weed Control Conference. Vol. 35, 1980, p. 102-103.
# of Pages:2
Publishing Information:[Urbana, Illinois: Department of Agronomy, University of Illinois]
Abstract/Contents:"An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, particularly when you are dealing with 85,000 A of grassland. We start our weed prevention with a planting of native and introduced grasses in such a combination to offer something for each microclimate on the project. We follow this planting up with a mowing program that is intensive for two years. The first two years we mow at a height of five or six in wherever the vegetation grows up to twelve in. No spraying is allowed there the first two years. The third year mowing is limited to the first 15 ft adjacent to the roadway, and spraying may be done for noxious weeds. Only spot spraying is allowed. A matured section of roadside is only mowed out on a frequency of every four to five years. The combination of native and introduced grasses and limited mowing solves many of our weed problems before they start. However, not all of them. The first problem that developes [develops] on a concrete roadway with asphalt surfaced shoulders is the 'long green line'; a row of vegetation in the joint between the two surfaces. We control this problem with bromacil by incorporating it into the asphalt emulsion crack filler. The second problem area that develops is the highway hardware such as guard rail, sign posts, light poles, etc. Our program for these areas consists of the following treatments: (1) Mowing. Hand mowing is extremely limited and is almost extinct. (2) Knockdown Chemical. We use cacodylate acid as a quick knockdown chemical. This is used in areas with light soils and is used as a training tool for crews that will soon be using more residual chemicals. It is used two to three times/year on guard rails. (3) Residual Chemical. We use prometon at 11.82 lb/A every two years and we are using tebuthiuron at four lb/year. We have had some runoff problem with prometon, but it is usually a case of overapplication and/or hard rain. This was our first year using tebuthiuron. (4) Brush Control. Volunteer elms are our worst pest in our brush control effort. Brush is handled in one of three ways. Standing brush is treated using dicamba (10% Banvel pellets) in the spring on using fosamine in the fall. Brush is also cut during the winter months and the stumps are treated with 2,4-D (amine) or picloram (Tordon-101R). We have had some difficulties with the dicamba if sufficient rain fall does not occur within 15 days of application. Cut stump treatments with 2,4-D are not always satisfactory as there seems to be regrowth during the second year. (5) Noxious Weed Control. The noxious weeds in Nebraska are musk thistle, Canada thistle, plumeless thistle, and leafy spurge. Most of the noxious weed control is handled by the County Weed Control Authorities. The worst to control are Canada thistle and leafy spurge. Musk thistle and plumeless thistle are subduded [subdued] by a dense stand of grasses, but Canada thistle and leafy spurge do not seem to care. Our current annual cost for chemical weed and brush control is $100,000 and this cost is spread over 10,000 mi of highway."
Note:This item is an abstract only!
ASA/CSSA/SSSA Citation (Crop Science-Like - may be incomplete):
Dederman, A. H., and R. W. Jr. Gray. 1980. Roadside vegetation management policies and practices in Nebraska. Res. Rep. North Cent. Weed Control Conf. 35:p. 102-103.
Fastlink to access this record outside TGIF: https://tic.msu.edu/tgif/flink?recno=248833
If there are problems with this record, send us feedback about record 248833.
Choices for finding the above item:
Find Item @ MSU
MSU catalog number: SB 610 .N6
Request through your local library's inter-library loan service (bring or send a copy of this TGIF record)