Full TGIF Record # 77114
Item 1 of 1
Web URL(s):http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1081/CSS-120000393
    Last checked: 10/13/2015
    Requires: PDF Reader
    Access conditions: Item is within a limited-access website
Publication Type:
i
Report
Author(s):Joo, Y. K.; Chun, S. U.; Jung, Y. S.; Lee, S. K.
Author Affiliation:Joo, Chun, and Lee: Department of Biological Resources and Technology, Yonsei University, South Korea; and Jung: Division of Biological Environment, Kangwon National University, South Korea
Title:Selection procedure for turfgrass in New Incheon International Airport
Source:Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis. Vol. 32, No. 15/16, September 2001, p. 2589-2601.
# of Pages:13
Publishing Information:New York, NY: Marcel Dekker
Keywords:TIC Keywords: Selection; Airfields; Backfilling; Land reclamation; Salt tolerance; Sludges; Sand; Hydrated lime; Choice of species; Soil salinity; Zoysia sinica; Zoysia Japonica; Festuca arundinacea; Lolium perenne; Festuca rubra; Agrostis alba; Reclaimed soils; Salinity; Percent living ground cover
Abstract/Contents:"The back-filled soil of the New Incheon International Airport in South Korea construction site was reclaimed with sea sand from the bottom of the sea and with sludge from along the bank of an inlet near Yongjong Island. The objective of this study was to investigate soil change to improve the soil properties where plant growth was limited by salts. The experiment was carried out from August 1993 to June 1997 to restore soil bases (SL, a base constructed using dredged sludge along the bank of an inlet; SD, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea; SDC, a base constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide; SDCD, a based constructed using dredged sea sand at the bottom of the sea with 2 ton ha-1 calcium hydroxide and with an established closed drainage system at 30 cm depth) and to select salt tolerance turfgrass species (Puccinella distans; Zoysia sinica; Zoysia japonica; CSG I, a combination of cool season grasses I with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Lolium perenne 30% + Agrostis alba 20% by weight; CSG II, a combination of cool season grasses II with Festuca arundinacea 50% + Festuca rubra 50% by weight) for a low maintenance area that inlcuded most of the open space of the airport site. In our study, soil salinity did not significantly affect the growth of turfgrass without irrigation in the dry season over the five years. The salinity decreased under 1 dSm-1 in 70 days on bases SD, SDC, and SDCD only with rainfall. Zoysia sinica and Zoysia japonica had higher turfgrass coverage than Puccinella distans, CSG I and CSG II."
Language:English
References:17
Note:Tables
Graphs
Geographic Terms:South Korea
See Also:Other items relating to: SALTP

Other items relating to: SALTT
ASA/CSSA/SSSA Citation (Crop Science-Like - may be incomplete):
Joo, Y. K., S. U. Chun, Y. S. Jung, and S. K. Lee. 2001. Selection procedure for turfgrass in New Incheon International Airport. Commun. Soil. Sci. Plant Anal. 32(15/16):p. 2589-2601.
Fastlink to access this record outside TGIF: https://tic.msu.edu/tgif/flink?recno=77114
If there are problems with this record, send us feedback about record 77114.
Choices for finding the above item:
Web URL(s):
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1081/CSS-120000393
    Last checked: 10/13/2015
    Requires: PDF Reader
    Access conditions: Item is within a limited-access website
Find Item @ MSU
MSU catalog number: S 590 .C54
Find from within TIC:
   Digitally in TIC by record number.
Request through your local library's inter-library loan service (bring or send a copy of this TGIF record)